[dsdp-dd-dev] proposal for memory view address bar

hi Samantha,

I'd like to propose a memory view UI enhancement for the purpose of improving workflow.

When I open the memory view, I almost always have a destination address in mind. I immediately create a new rendering, entering the address in the new rendering dialog. Often, I find it necessary to reposition the rendering to another address while debugging. I've been using the "Go to Address..." context menu item and it works, but it takes several clicks.

How would you feel about adding a user toggleable address bar along with a user/plugin.xml configurable default rendering preference? This would improve two common user scenarios:

1) Opening the memory view to an address. It would only be necessary to show the memory view and enter an address. I imagine most users have a favorite rendering. I tend to use "hex" (or mixed hex/ASCII where available) most of the time.

2) Repositioning a rendering to another address. It would only take entering the address in the address bar. Imagine what the workflow would be if our web browsers lacked the address bar. We'd be using "File -> Open Location" all day. In addition to reducing the complexity (clicks) of this common task, the address bar would standardize navigation across all renderings. (GoToAddressAction is programmatically instantiated in AbstractAsyncTableRendering.)

As a lower priority topic, I think it'd be interesting to consider allowing renderings to be replaced. It ought to be simpler to replace an existing hex rendering with an ASCII rendering while retaining the viewport top address.

thanks,
ted

Back to the top