Re: [Dltk-dev] plans for Python DLTK

Where did you read this?  I didn't hear anything like this and I have a hard time believing Fabio would want this to happen...

It might be an admirable long-term goal in the name of cooperation, but the way things sit right now - DLTK has a long way to go before it can hope to "swallow" pyDev.

Mark.

William Carter <carterxxxwilliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dltk-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/26/2007 05:48 PM

Please respond to
DLTK Developer Discussions <dltk-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

dltk-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[Dltk-dev] plans for Python DLTK

Dear DLTK users!
Recently I have read that there are plans to let PyDev be swallowed by the Python DLTK. Does anybody besides the DLTK developers consider this a good idea?

PyDev is working perfectly.

The Python debugger seems not to work with DLTK, and despite several attempts even experienced users have not been able to resolve the problems for any but the most basic HelloWorld-programs. This is what I read from all the unanswered help requests.
While a working debugger is one of the most important developer tools in my opinion, even worse the "Smart Insert Mode" inserts crazy tabs and spaces no matter whether switched on or off. Who thinks this is smart in Python??

Just to mention two no-go criteria amongst hundreds.

My request to the DLTK developers is not to disturb the further development of the PyDev environment. Instead they focus on debugging the core functionality of DLTK. Once they can show some progress (measured on common test procedures, not on their own decisions) a bunch of highly skilled Python developers can apply DLTK to this language saving efforts for everybody.

Regards
William C.

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage. _______________________________________________
dltk-dev mailing list