[dash-dev] Re: common build infrastructure

I hope you don't mind me emailing you directly like this. I am the release engineer for the technology.voicetools project, and we are interested in leveraging cbi for our build (currently there isn't one for this project). I followed through the slides from your EclipseCon tutorial, and have successfully built GEF on my machine (macbook pro, os x 10.5.6). Then I moved on to create a .releng project for the vtp, one difference is that I want to test from checking out from subversion, so I have all of that defined in the map files, and followed the gef example for the properties and the build.xml file to kick it off.

No worries on the direct email, though you could also open a bug or send mail to dash-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx if you want a more public audience / more eyes to possibly help.

> The build launches fine, everything is checked out from svn fine, and it gets to attempting to compile (from previous experience with pde build systems this is a good point to be).

> The problem is that the classpath
is screwed up, I'm getting can't resolve java.lang.Object errors, when I look at a generated build.xml for one of the plugins I see

<condition property="dir_bootclasspath" value="${java.home}/../Classes">
<os family="mac"/>
</condition>
<property name="dir_bootclasspath" value="${java.home}/lib"/>
<path id="path_bootclasspath">
<fileset dir="${dir_bootclasspath}">
<include name="*.jar"/>
</fileset>
</path>
which suggests to me that somehow this is whats going wrong that its not picking up the fact that this is on a mac, and so the classpath is not right.
Any idea as to how I can fix this?

Well... we set classpath & bootclasspath in org.eclipse.dash.commong.releng/server.properties, then use those global vars in your .releng/build.properties as JAVA_HOME and JAVA50_HOME (or JAVA60_HOME, as appropriate).

I could prolly help more if I could see a full build log. Please open a bug in Dash > Common Builder (or your own project) and attach the log and perhaps the generated build.cfg file. I'm nickboldt+bugzilla@xxxxxxxxx; please cc: me.

Is your .releng project in SVN? I can try a build here too (on WinXP or Fedora10) to see if it's a platform or build-system problem. Post SVN URL in the bug too. Thanks!

Once you get it working, if you'd like to try building in Hudson on build.eclipse.org, drop me a line (or better, open a bug) and I'll help you get started there. The Linux Tools project currently builds there, with an automated SVN repo check every 6 hrs. If anything new has happened, a build is fired automagically.

Cheers,

--
Nick Boldt :: http://wiki.eclipse.org/User:Nickb
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena

Back to the top