I am announcing this a bit early because
part of the weather forecast for central North Carolina on Friday is "freezing
rain" which often leads to power outages. While I do have a few hours
of emergency backup power (and a back up internet connection) I just do
not want to have to worry about getting this announcement out later today.
It is, after all, an historic announcement! (Tangent below.)
= = = = = = =
I suspect everyone knows this is considered
a "warm-up" RC, not a true candidate for release. That partially
means it has not been tested as much and partially that there are still
"known fixes" to go into some project's builds. But, from here
on (for RC2, 3 and 4) please make each of them as solid as possible and
a true candidate for release. (i.e. don't plan on waiting until RC4 to
put in some big fix ... after all, there might be another ice storm somewhere
by then and we'll have to release RC3! :) Very unlikely to
happen, but that should be our attitude.
As with past "warm-up" RCs,
we do not publish the EPP packages to the downloads page (on developers-index
tab), but if you do want to test one, you can get it directly from EPP's
This is our last warm-up RC build --
forever! For Neon update releases we are not planning to have warm-up
RCs but going straight to RCs with only one week in between. We will still
have 4 RCs, though.
This is partially because we are having
3 update releases during the year, instead of 2, so the schedule is a little
But, even more so, it is because the
vast majority of you Eclipse projects are really getting good at this and
there seems to be no need for a warm-up any longer. We say "go"
you put out a release. Job well done! Thanks.