|[cross-project-issues-dev] Luna marketing bullets|
For the purposes of marketing Luna, we need five-ish points to
present to the press.|
A while back, I opened a bug  to capture the "hot topics" for Luna. I thank everybody who participated in that discussion.
We have a handful of points, but I'm concerned that we can/should be able to do a little better. I'm concerned that what we have is not all that "new and noteworthy", at least from a marketing perspective.
We can include as many bullets as we'd like on the Luna projects page , but for the main Luna page (/luna) and for marketing outreach, we need to settle on five things that will make people want to take a closer look.
Here's what I have so far:
* Eclipse Luna includes official support for Java™ 8 in the Java development tools, Plug-in Development Tools, Object Teams, Eclipse Communication Framework, Maven integration, Xtext and Xtend. The Eclipse compiler includes language enhancements, search and refactoring, Quick Assist and Clean Up to migrate anonymous classes to lambda expressions and back, and new formatter options for lambdas.
* The Eclipse workbench provides a new dark theme which includes syntax highlighter settings for several programming languages.
* Paho provides open source implementations of open and standard messaging protocols that support current and emerging requirements of IoT integration with Web and Enterprise middleware and applications.
* The Eclipse Communication Project's (ECF) specification-compliant implementation of OSGi Remote Service/Remote Service Admin has been enhanced to support the use of Java 8's CompletableFuture for asynchronous remote services.
* Sirius allows architects to easily create their own graphical modeling workbenches by leveraging the Eclipse modeling technologies, including Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) and Graphical Modeling Framework (GMF). EcoreTools, the graphical modeler for Ecore, has been completely re-implemented based on Sirius.
We've already had the discussion with the press regarding Java 8. I still think that it belongs on the list. While I'd like to keep ECF on this short list, I'm not sure how much hay we can make from it at marketing level. Ian is the expert here, so he and I will make the final decision together.
In a fit of what I might call desperation, I crafted a bullet from the project page for Paho. I think that we can do better, but I need help from the Paho project to make that happen. I did something similar with Sirius.
I need more input. I had closed the bug, but I've reopened it. Your attention is needed.
Let's please keep the conversation on the bug (i.e. keep it in one place so we don't get mixed up)
Back to the top