Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [cross-project-issues-dev] DSDP-TM requests delaying our M6 drop by 4 days


Lack of testing is no excuse for slipping dates ... as you can see from other typical eclipse project's behavior :)

My advise is to stick with the train metaphor ... if you leave the station late, you never know what other train you might run into later on, down the tracks.

While it does greatly depend on the wishes of your adopters and committers, I recommend you declare M6 with whatever you have, with whatever amount of testing you can do, but (as you've done here) warn people it hasn't gotten as much testing as you would have liked, due to the important API work, so if anyone runs into a blocking or critical issue, you would consider providing them with an M6b upon request.

Besides ... once one project slips, it'll change our mindset and you know who else will start asking for a slip too. :)

I think there can be good reasons to slip a schedule, but not so much for "unknown, potential problems" ... only for "we have a known problem that will prevent adoption of the milestone".

Make sense?


From: "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Cross project issues" <cross-project-issues-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "" <>
Date: 04/04/2008 09:19 AM
Subject: [cross-project-issues-dev] DSDP-TM requests delaying our M6 drop by        4 days

Dear all,
thanks to the truly awsome API Tooling in Eclipse 3.4M6, we have
detected several API Leakage problems in the Target Management
Project, that we'd like to address in a clean manner before our
M6 API Freeze.
This unexpected extra work has delayed our M6 test plan, so
we'd like to delay our M6 Ganymede Drop by 4 days from
Mon Apr 7 (+2) to  Fri Apr 11 (EPP).
I'm not aware of any downstream consumers that we currently have,
so I'd hope that this is in order. Still I'd like to get your replies if
there are any concerns.
Note that I have contributed a preview of our TM M6 drop today
already, and will be refining it again on Monday, so hopefully
our API's shouldn't change any more after the initially expected
drop date. Still I'd like to get the extra 4 days of testing.
Any thoughts or concerns?
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
cross-project-issues-dev mailing list

Back to the top