Re: [cosmos-dev] New committer nomination/call for vote

Don, Harm, Mark & Richard,  Thank you for the feedback and votes.   Here are the actions taken for points made:

1.  We assign a seasoned committer to mentor each new committer’s contributions (I believe that this list would be Vasya, David, and Seva).
        Agree this must be done.   Harm & Valentina will determine the right mentors for new committers.
2. We define our CVS directory structure and specifically isolate components that are intended for the demo from more permanent contributions.

        Agree.  this is a good recommendation.  work was started at the architecture meeting this week.   Ref:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/COSMOSCVS_structure

3. No component is committed to CVS prior to approval of the proposed design (including an assigned location in the CVS tree) by the weekly Thursday COSMOS project meeting.

        This has begun through the architecture review meetings and the project leaders should bring a summary to the weekly Thursday         COSMOS project meeting.

Regards,   Toni
Program Director,
Tivoli Open Source - COSMOS
tdrapkin@xxxxxxxxxx
(919)254-5224 / t/l 444-5224
(919)815-9894 - cell phone

Harm Sluiman <sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/25/2007 05:05 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [cosmos-dev] New committer nomination/call for vote

I vote +1 with the same notes that Don makes.
It is critical to get a core team in place, but it is also critical for them to be indoctrinated with the Eclipse way etc..

Thanks for your time.
Harm Sluiman, STSM,
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920
cell: 1-647-300-4758
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Arlene Treanor atreanor@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-2323 1-905-413-2323

Richard Vasconi <vasconi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/25/2007 04:52 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[cosmos-dev] New committer nomination/call for vote

I vote plus 1.

Thanks,

Richard Vasconi

Design and Information Development/Dept. CNPA
Phone: (919) 543-5210 (TL/441) Fax: (919) 543-5210
e-mail: vasconi@xxxxxxxxxx
Lotus Notes: Richard Vasconi/Raleigh/IBM
Toni Drapkin/Poughkeepsie/IBM
Toni Drapkin/Poughkeepsie/IBM

01/25/2007 04:45 PM

Richard Vasconi/Raleigh/IBM

cc

Subject

Fw: [cosmos-dev] New committer nomination/call for vote

Regards, Toni
Program Director,
Tivoli Open Source - COSMOS
tdrapkin@xxxxxxxxxx
(919)254-5224 / t/l 444-5224
(919)815-9894 - cell phone

----- Forwarded by Toni Drapkin/Poughkeepsie/IBM on 01/25/2007 04:44 PM -----
"Ebright, Don" <Don.Ebright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/23/2007 02:52 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Cosmos Dev" <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [cosmos-dev] New committer nomination/call for vote

Toni,

I have a couple of concerns about this request.

Some of the proposed committers have no prior experience as committers on an Eclipse project. At a minimum, we need to assure that any of this group who are not seasoned committers from other Eclipse projects has an assigned mentor who can provide advice and review their work as they grow more familiar with the committer role. This will head off problems with IP policy, CVS pollution, etc.

Another factor that makes it much more likely that we could run into trouble is that the COSMOS project has not achieved much process maturity at this point. For example, we haven’t defined CVS directory naming conventions or our processes and practices regarding approvals, planning, architecture review, code review, etc. In this environment, it is necessary for the committers to be extremely disciplined until the supporting process infrastructure matures.

I vote +1 with the caveats that:
1. We assign a seasoned committer to mentor each new committer’s contributions (I believe that this list would be Vasya, David, and Seva).
2. We define our CVS directory structure and specifically isolate components that are intended for the demo from more permanent contributions.
3. No component is committed to CVS prior to approval of the proposed design (including an assigned location in the CVS tree) by the weekly Thursday COSMOS project meeting.

Regards,

Don Ebright