[che-dev] Multi-arch builds of some Che containers: can we simplify?

Hey, Che community!

I wanted to start a conversation about the usefulness of building and publishing SOME Che containers for alternative architectures.

In particular, we have builds that use `docker buildx` to create containers for the following arches:

che-code: amd64
che-dashboard: amd64, arm64, ppc64le
che-devfile-registry: amd64
che-docs: amd64
che-e2e: amd64
kubernetes-image-puller: amd64
che-machine-exec: amd64, arm64, ppc64le
che-operator: amd64, ppc64le
che-plugin-registry: amd64
configbump: amd64, arm64, ppc64le, s390x (last built in 2021)
developer-images (UDI): amd64

We also have other builds that are simple single arch:

devworkspace-operator
che-server
che-theia

And we have chectl, which is built for many arches, including Mac and Windows:

chectl: linux-arm,linux-x64,linux-s390x,linux-ppc64le,darwin-x64,darwin-arm64,win32-x64,win32-x86

So here are my questions:

1. Why are we building some components of Che for multiple arches? Is there a compelling reason to have a dashboard and server/factory, without the ability to launch a workspace running che-code?

2. Can you even install the Che operator without a compatible DevWorkspace operator for your arch? (I would be surprised if this is possible.)

3. Could we simplify the Che build infrastructure to use `podman build` or `docker build` instead of `docker buildx`, and focus on the single end to end deployment of Che on amd64?

For those worried that this means they can't use Windows to Mac to connect to their cluster, don't worry - I'm not suggesting we drop support of darwin or win32 arches.

I'm suggesting we drop container builds for arm64, s390x, and ppc64le, since there is no way to use those containers for a COMPLETE Che 7.60+ deployment with a vscode-based workspace.

What do you think, community members?

If you'd like to weigh in, please do so in this thread or in https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/21969

Thanks,

Nick

--

Nick Boldt (he/him/his)

Principal Software Engineer, RHCSA

Productization Lead :: OpenShift Dev Spaces (formerly CodeReady Workspaces)

IM: @nickboldt / @nboldt / https://divbyzero.neocities.org

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” - Heraclitus

Back to the top