Re: [che-dev] PRs review proposal

To me, we should not just do things to make our life easier ... but to make our customers and endusers life easier ... first.
So this kind of flow really makes sense if our end users or customers could also apply it. But they could do that without che, it's like you are working on a Java webapp and provide the war at each PR. is it something we shouldn't do manually but has to be generated by the CI. But then it is not related to Che at all. Anyone could do that with any CI job.

So what is the value of Che for PR and review ?
The ability to recreate the developer environment. for a specific PR: rebuild in the same condition a CI would do but in Che, you could access to it, debug, run your application or your microservice, modify the code and propose changes. With the PR extension, you could add some comments and review. See the diff with another branch with your git tools ... etc.
It really makes sense in our case where we don't have to recompile everything: testing the vscode extension is just about rebuilding the vscode extension and restart it. But it also make sense when you are building microservices, cloud native apps...

I know that this flow is not perfect at the moment because we are missing this and that but this is where we want to go for us and also for our end users and customers because this is where we and they will find value in Che.

Sun Tan

Senior Software Engineer

Eclipse Che - CodeReady Workspaces @ Red Hat
Paris JUG leader