Re: [che-dev] Che projects as workspace roots

On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 14:05 +0200, Sun Tan wrote:
Hello Thomas,
Could you point us out to what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Sun Tan

Senior Software Engineer

Eclipse Che - CodeReady Workspaces @ Red Hat
Paris JUG leader

Red Hat Paris

sutan@xxxxxxxxxx
M: +33621024173

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:35 PM <tmader@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about the approach of mounting projects inside a Theia workpace as separate roots. First: let's look at what gitpod does: they seem to open the IDE only once they have cloned the project. The have removed all workspace-related menu items (no "open", etc.) Also, if you clone a project on the command line, you don't get any possibility to add this project to the Theia workspace.

So for Che, here's what I would propose:

1. Our initial workspace root is a hidden, empty directory.
2. When we clone a directory via the IDE command (for example, when cloning as part of the workspace startup), we add the cloned project as a workspace root
3. We remove all workspace related menu items, instead adding "add folder to workspace" and "remove folder from workspace"

I think this should give us the behaviour we want. The only downside I see is that langauge servers may treat multiple workspace roots differently from having a single workspace root with multiple projects. For Java, that shouldn't be a problem though.

What do you think?

/Thomas