Re: [che-dev] [Fwd: Re: Detecting newly added projects]

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:24 PM <tmader@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 13:07 +0200, Sun Tan wrote:
LS should deal with file watching. But if they don't, the best we can do is triggering the right event each time we finish cloning a project.

No, that's my argument: LSP does not mandate that and real world implementations of language servers don't show the behaviour you desire. Some do, some don't. Also, there is no event for "finished cloning a project" in LSP.

We cannot ask the user to refresh ...

Of course we can! It's easy to implement. What you're saying is that we shouldn't, right? But IMO it's the best generally viable solution I know. We could auto-refresh but that would do unnecessary work for language servers that DO pick up new projects.

I think the flow I'm seeing described here is concerning from an end-user point of view.

For users who are using Che with the devfile/factory flow, the benefit is to get the workspace setup and get everything automated for them. And they could be using this flow many times a day as workspaces are getting easy to get.
If the flow you are recommending for the user is that after he started the workspace and the source code has been cloned, he has a browser refresh, then it's going to break the experience of devfile/factory flow and going to be very annoying. The whole point of the devfile/factory flow is to make the onboarding experience easy, fast and smooth - so I'd rather see us solving that problem for the end-user.

I'm surprised that:
- Che can't know wether a plugin is a language server or not
- Che can't know when a project has been cloned
- Che can't tell to the language server to reinitialize - while apparently the IDE is doing it when it refreshes.

/Thomas