Re: [cdt-dev] indexer maintenance status
- From: Nathan Ridge <zeratul976@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:17:33 +0000
- Accept-language: en-CA, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none; dkim=none; arc=none
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=S+oEEngv1AMu2y/3RyNpGAgaDGDC+TGMMZ43qDwyOrc=; b=M87LTng3j+e6lksqaTTdC0Pcvg6+Se9jSe+fW/2AkayC27ZqcOIarY+/W7BzK1ZEJbPz2Gzw2UDUkpL5SROPcA+8WZSYb/NctL4StSjd3L69WL4307dTluE+XSZfDk2po3OjycRF9KhffATQJnkIF/LKGikSQeIRpNvwkRh6Zb0hc6zPnXTwJg2+F4HKICao4CvuIMnQrFDgHo13GkhjFd3K4Zz0jBgRwjDa0tux7AzUmcV06eTXK/EV+TA/Kbd10vp7uZ97M9CaJbY+S+nQAGsgMMb+CAsQUTjD/kwv6LOeCXT3n89KnndvVmOrdgxltC5qMk1VozvdrcNH75wfCA==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=W0JCztZ+fa/G01aFRjBATF/eiqlFh/K9YiF9p3cWJId8/2jbaVgFZBA2+epmrWjfsUZ9PhHubKdRCoEqj75O89vJXSirm0zr8LhRo776pPHkIzUCuDrBauOPVXMTL6bk0EVBD9rXfqnMeXWKCRvUVhxtz0xwU/2KOoozMjaOWIg+BWw1IRS3iBRFSPiT7ki9xgTs+MccS8Es4185SKR4b2+18UNR3fEyWRHG0OXeINpgBuCk+RTLpxkD8T2HPuLRmNnIsuFNdU26R1+uWPjE4DUQExajlPdzi+JhJNYzrHkuLczPNl/HAjMDFDscxJ+FeC8JkTb0YQdibE6BPUpNQw==
- Delivered-to: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
- List-archive: <https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/private/cdt-dev/>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-subscribe: <https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cdt-dev>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/options/cdt-dev>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- Suggested_attachment_session_id: 2b88a43f-85b4-808e-4525-ddce54e14e8f
- Thread-index: AQHX8GoDsgJ4BFbK5EOl4oFzPGDbU6wz/4SAgAAlwhY=
- Thread-topic: [cdt-dev] indexer maintenance status
>> As you know, a couple of years ago I stepped away from maintenance of CDT's
>> homegrown parser/indexer and have been focusing on clang-based tooling instead.
> I am keenly interested in something like this. I have found that CDT's indexer is able to
> detect bugs that don't show up even in the C/C++ Code Analysis tool (and never in
> compiler warnings or static analyzers). I don't have much experience building LLVM
> tools, but I do have quite a bit of experience with systems programming, so I would be
> more than happy to donate spare cycles where I can.
The specific clang-based tool that I've been contributing to is clangd , a C++ language server supporting the Language Server Protocol (LSP). This allows it to be used in combination with a variety of editors.
Personally, I've been using it with vscode as editor, because it has mature client-side LSP support, and I've found it suitable for my use cases. However, there's no reason clangd couldn't serve as a language intelligence backend for Eclipse as well. There has been some preliminary work done in this area (see org.eclipse.cdt.lsp.* packages), and I think continuing that would be a promising direction for keeping CDT usable with modern C++ versions.