Re: [cdt-dev] Hammer icon disabled for projects created with the new builder?

AFAIK CMake support is tied into use of the LaunchBar, so you need to use that build hammer. You'll need to select an appropriate Launch Target and Launch Mode before it knows how to build.
https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/LaunchBar

Regards John