[cdt-dev] Infra performance and how to boost?

Hi all,

it seems gerrits verification jobs are often suffering from time-out during git check-out.

I would suggest to modify at least the jenkins verification builds to use git´s *shallow clone* feature for checkout.

I did a Q&D comparison of shallow vs. non shallow checkout. Here are the results:

## shallow
 > time git clone -b master git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git --depth=1
real    0m27,439s
user    0m1,592s
sys     0m0,947s

## non-shallow
 > time git clone -b master git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git
real    2m40,427s
user    0m20,746s
sys     0m3,541s

Note that in both cases the download rate was at the maximum (15.2 MB/s) of my ISP connection (according to KDE´s network monitor).

The following roughly shows the disk space needed for git history data in both cases:

## shallow
 > du -hs org.eclipse.cdt-shallow/.git
40M     org.eclipse.cdt-shallow/.git

## non-shallow