Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Type A or B IP Due Diligence / Releasing GDB Debug Adapter

I vote for type A solution

Il lun 15 lug 2019, 19:28 Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
Hello folks,

In the CDT 9.8.0 release plan we have this text:

CDT has expanded it's scope to cover a gdb debug adapter using the Debug Adapter Protocol and extensions that support it and clangd in VS Code. These components use the Type A IP Due Diligence Type. They are not a part of this release.

As a result, CDT in this release remains Type B. We will consider switching the whole thing to Type A in a future release.

Therefore I would like to now consider switching to Type A. With the work on Bug 542488 I have, with funding from Renesas, been integrating the gdb debug adapter into Eclipse using LSP4E. This means we now, or soon, need to make a decision. Do we:
a) Change CDT to Type A and allow the new work in Bug 542488 to be released as part of CDT 9.9.0
b) Exclude the Eclipse front end for the gdb debug adapter (i.e. don't make org.eclipse.cdt.debug.dap part of the 9.9.0 release*)
c) something else?

Personally I vote for (A) because otherwise there is no path yet to release this code, even in a preview way. However there probably needs to be some coordination with what we are doing as for releasing the gdb debug adapter.

* The "release" here is CDT's release, not the EPP release. For now I am not proposing that this new code be part of the C/C++ Package available at https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. People who want to use it will need to install explicitly.

Thank you,
Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham