Re: [cdt-dev] Blog on the New CDT

Hi Doug,

I just want to make sure I understand what CDT will stand for from now on. As I understand, CDT will remain the C/C++ tooling for Eclipse except that some components (language server, debug adapter) will be reusable by other IDEs (erm, editors). But would the reference integrations/adapters with other IDEs also be hosted inside the CDT? I wonder if it would be better to have a more IDE-neutral place for this because as it stands Eclipse CDT stands for Eclipse (Classic) CDT and not for Eclipse-the-foundataion-with-other-IDEs CDT. At least in the mind of people it is, which brings us to the marketing terms again. Can the foundation be renamed? ;) Maybe more seriously, it would be nice to see some place where all C/C++ tool integrators could converge, and I’m not sure if it can be the (new) CDT realistically.

As for the CDT’s future as a set of Eclipse plugins, I think the strategy makes a lot of sense and is probably the only reasonable way to go. But I wonder: if the real differentiator between the Eclipse C/C++ IDE and other C/C++ IDEs is the Eclipse platform, then how many people would go for that.

In any case, I’m hanging around if only for Eclipse nostalgia and collaborating with great people :)

Cheers,
Marc-André