Re: [cdt-dev] cdt, windows, and tools

On 4/25/2018 11:34 AM, Jeff Johnston wrote:

<stuff deleted>
One of the first things a new autotools project does is to generate the makefile.   Since there is no container image assigned to the project upon creation, it can't do that (unless the environmentOS allows it to be done locally instead).   How is this to be handled?

1. The default could be changed to not do the automatic configure or tied to a new wizard option

2. A check could be made that the autotools are available on the local path and if not, no automatic local configuration step (wait until build)

3. Right now there is a default image in the preferences.  Defaults could be extended to include automatic configuration

[Scott]
I think option 1 (with new wizard options/pages) would be simplest/most natural for the user.

However, I think with the above solutions, some consistent way is needed to identify/select/query/subset images (via name, tags, properties, other docker image meta-data) that already have support for autotools...and ultimately other toolchains of course.   I've seen some things that suggest that standardization of meta-data for Docker and other containers is going on...which perhaps could be leveraged here.

Scott

Back to the top