Re: [cdt-dev] Speed-up of gerrit builds

How did you do the multiple jobs? I tried setting multiple with the Gerrit Trigger before and only one of the jobs every triggered.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:13:44 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] Speed-up of gerrit builds

Hi cdt-devers,

I have made an update to how gerrit patches are verified with Hudson.
Rather than one large job (cdt-verify) that does all the work, 4
smaller jobs are run in parallel that each test a different part of
CDT. This allows for the following highlights:

1) Time from git push to build result reduced from 52 minutes to 25 minutes

       2x improvement

2) Time from git push to compile-only build completing so you know if
there is a silly compile only error (like forgetting to commit a file
or forgetting to update pom.xml when version changes) reduced from 52
minutes to 7 minutes -

       7x improvement

3) Time to rebuild failing test because Bug 499777 isn't resolved yet
reduced from 52 minutes to as little as 17 (depending on what failed).
This takes advantage of being able to retrigger only the job that
failed instead of the whole build -

       3x improvement

In gerrit the Hudson job votes the same, but instead of reporting one
job result, it reports 4, for example:

    Hudson CI
    Patch Set 3: Verified-1
    Build Unstable

    https://hudson.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-verify-test-dsf-gdb-only/2/ : SUCCESS
    https://hudson.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-verify-test-cdt-other/2/ : SUCCESS
    https://hudson.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-verify-compile-only/3/ : SUCCESS
    https://hudson.eclipse.org/cdt/job/cdt-verify-test-cdt-ui-only/3/ : UNSTABLE

You can see all the jobs here: https://hudson.eclipse.org/cdt/view/Gerrit/
You can see my notes in the bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/515304

Please let me know on cdt-dev or in the bug above if you have any
comments/concerns on my approach.

Thanks,
Jonah

~~~