Re: [cdt-dev] Bundle version numbers

Hi Nathan,

A quick/hacky way of doing this is checking in the release repo, if it
is released.

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/9.1/r/plugins/?d
vs
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/9.2/r/plugins/?d

But, as you probably have figured out, the given version was never
released, so not in either of those. Based on the date I can say this
is probably a master build from pre-9.2 release.

However you have some extra information in AERI, the product version
is listed further down the report, so you may have some EPP version
there that makes it easier to determine.

** The General Problem **

IMHO Eclipse has some version number confusion. But CDT at the moment
makes it worse by never incrementing bundle versions (apart from API
changing plug-in versions). This is worse even in the next cycle
because we have two active branches at the same time (branches working
towards 9.2.1 and 9.3). That means we can have bundles with greater
numbers referring to older versions as only the qualifier (date)
differentiates them.

The platform increments the service number more often, see "When to
change the service segment" in
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering

Finally, there is ongoing work to publish Eclipse builds to Maven
Central (Bug 484004). This does not immediately affect CDT AFAIK, but
part of the decision for Maven is that once released the bundle drops
the qualifier as an unqualified build number in Maven land means
released. At the moment that would not work for CDT because bundles
from different CDT versions (with different code) have the same
version number (when excluding the qualifier).

HTH,
Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham