Re: [cdt-dev] Hooking into GDB/MI

Thanks for your input, Martin. TCF is still on my radar as possible options. One thing I found difficult with TCF when I did some early experiments on it was that the existing code (e.g. the reference agent) was very much focused on embedded linux, something which is not really relevant for us. But in the end I abandoned by experiments partly due to lack of time and partly due to the fact that we had a system which was working "well enough".

I like the services-based architecture of TCF and even if we probably will not use TCF itself we will (and in fact already are) using many of its ideas.

/Jesper

On 2016-03-24 12:01, Oberhuber, Martin wrote:

Hi Jesper,

We had been in a similar situation as yourself, so I’ll share what we have done:

For many years, we’ve been maintaining our own debugger, and the API for communicating with it was gdb/mi (although it wasn’t genuine GDB).

In fact, we even implemented the initial DSF in order to drive our debugger (though it was not GDB J) in a way that supported multicore well.

But over the years, we found that implementing new features for our debugger was too hard since any changes had to be done on many levels:

The debug agent on the target, the target-side protocol, the debug engine, then gdb/mi, and finally the UI talking gdb/mi.

This made us very inefficient implementing innovations. Also, the DSF, while designed to simplify Eclipse Platform/Debug APIs,

turned out to be quite complex in itself and hard to understand and maintain. Finally, although our debugger had been

designed around gdb/mi from the get-go, we always suffered from “not being 100% GDB compatible”. We’ve found subtle

differences of behavior that cost us a lot of time to investigate and fix over the years.

So what we did in the end was, we completely moved to TCF [1] as the debugger infrastructure. There’s two key design principles

In TCF, (a) API-first design with 100% reliable, extensible public APIs, and (b) avoid adding too many layers between target and UI.

It’s been a long journey until we’ve reached full production quality, but as of today I can say that having TCF made us

extremely fast implementing new features across a wide range of target operating environments.

Actually a very well-known and renowned debugger vendor, who used to offer a GDB API for their hardware debuggers,

has implemented a TCF API just recently and they were extremely happy about the design of TCF protocol and its APIs.

See page 7 on their 2016 newsletter if you are interested.

Bottomline:

I’m not sure which benefits you expect from changing a “direct DSF” debug adapter to using gdb/mi

as an additional layer in-between. I’m sure you’ll make the right design decisions for whatever problems

you’re trying to solve. I just wanted to make you aware of the experiences we’ve made and what others have done.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/TCF

HTH,

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6