[cdt-dev] Thoughts on Launch

Hey gang, we’ve talked about this recently and I’ve finally run into it head on with Qt. And it’s really the launch bar that ties the entire edit/build/debug cycle into a single workflow that’s got me here.

CDT launch configurations are really about launching binaries. You have to specify the binary in the configuration and you have to have a different configuration for each binary. In the general case, it’s really hard to find binaries that are related and get it right 100% of the time without asking the user.

For Qt, as with other project types we have, the source in a project produces a single executable but with different build configurations for launch target and launch mode. In theory, I should be able to figure out where the executable is at launch time, I.e. In the launch delegate, and not have to store it in the configuration.

Ideally, I have one configuration and it uses the IRemoteConnection API to start the processes, including on the Local machine.

For debug, I should be able to find the debugger based on the toolchain I used for the build. The interface to start up the debugger, the launch configuration can ask the toolchain where the debugger is and start it up.

I imagine there is a lot different between remote and local that may warrant two launch configs. For Remote, you may want to specify a list of files that you want to download aside from the obvious executable. For Qt, I’d want to download the Qt libraries I’m using. I may also want to sync QML and other files that can be reloaded on the fly.

So maybe there’s two launch configs, one local and one remote, but only 2. Not one per binary.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this problem. My conclusion is that I need to create new launch delegates and associated launch configurations for Qt. I had to do that with Arduino, so maybe that’s the natural progression here.

Thanks!
Doug.

Back to the top