Re: [cdt-dev] Java 8 for Neon/CDT 9.0?

I'm on board, except that I'd like to see where the discussion goes on the epp-dev list.  I would like to see what consensus is reached about the concern that corporate environments may not be on Java 8 fast enough.

At the CDT summit of EclipseCon NA2015 we actually said we'd move to java 8 for our 8.8 release [1].  But as Marc-Andre pointed out, it may not be very nice to force users to move to java 8 in an SR release.  CDT 9.0 seems ideal.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/summitecon2015

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Doug Schaefer [dschaefer@xxxxxxx]
Sent: July 30, 2015 1:59 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] Java 8 for Neon/CDT 9.0?

Hey gang,

The question is starting to fly around the Eclipse-o-sphere. I’ve been using Java 8 for some other work I’ve been doing and it’s a shock going back to Java  7 to work on Ecilpse. Lambda’s when doing async programming is a godsend. And we really need to figure out how to get DSF to be lambda friendly.

Any thoughts about whether this would be a good thing or bad thing?

Thanks,
Doug.

Back to the top