Re: [cdt-dev] UX Discussion - New Project Wizard

On 22.04.2014 23:16, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Hey gang,
Right now we have quite a mix of concepts being presented in these two panes, project type and toolchain and the cohesion is terrible. I'd
love to hear what you all think of the dialog and how you think it should be changed to make more sense to our users.

Hi Doug,

from my standpoint, there are a few problems with the current new project wizard:

- There are various ways a user might want to get started - creating project from template, creating
  project from existing source (without CDT .cproject), importing existing project (with CDT .cproject),
  and checking out from version control (with or without .cproject). All these are in different places
  right now.

- In our case, toolchains match gcc targets - say we have ARM EABI (bare metal)
  and ARM Linux toolchains. In that case, it makes more sense to have toolchains and templates
  in reverse order - you first select target, and then templates. Templates are different depending
  on the target - say for ARM Linux you have kernel development templates, but for ARM EABI you
  don't. Also, we found it nicer to have pills selector for target, as opposed to
  list. We did all of that (see attachment), but the existing CDT code was not cooperative.

- In fact, for embedded development, it might be best to just configure some devices/destinations/whatever,
  and point project wizard at a device first. If you create a project for Beagle*, it narrows down other
  options considerably.

- It seems unfortunate that autotools contribute independent items to template tree. Basically, the
  set of source templates should be independent from build system to use.

Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Graphics
http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/