Re: [cdt-dev] git/gerrit

Merging is one of the main reasons to a DVCS - it's dramatically more efficient than CVS is to the extent that it does it all for you automatically.

The only time I had to deal with merge commit problems with Git was when merging Apple's ZFS fork and the Open Solaris codebase which had no common Git ancestor. And there was no way I'd be doing something like that with either subversion or cvs.

Every other time, git merge just works and can replay deltas in order so even if the arch was a long time ago, you can still merge (unlike CVS where you have to ask the submitter to resent his patch against head).

Tools like gerrit make this even less of an issue since they show you all the diffs anyway.

That said, with EGit 0.8, you do have to drop to the command line to do some hints in a normal workflow. The 0.9 release due out in Sept will have fixed most of these issues. But it would almost certainly be easier to switch at the start of a sprint rather than at the end of one.

Alex

Sent from my iPad