[cdt-dev] Re: questions about building and modifying CDT plugins

> I will try this, but I wanted to ask: since I already have
> CDT plugged into
> my Eclipse Classic install, is it possible (or dangerous?) to
> just use this
> install to test the modified CDT plugin? Would it be the same
> mechanism -
> i.e. can I just export, shut down eclipse, copy the exported
> .jar into the
> same eclipse's plugins/, then restart it and test? Is that
> dangerous? Is
> there some PDE best-practices way that's better?

First, I would not call this way a best-practice since you've to be aware what you are doing. Especially when you don't change the version and replace the existing jar with the modified one. It's just a short cut to make changes. It's not really a common way to make changes and a I could imagine that a lot of people out there get a headache after reading that ;) But my experience is, creating a runtime patch with a new plugin version is not as easy.

I think a best-practice would be to build a new deployable CDT version.

AFAIK (I'm only an advanced user of eclipse/CDT): Yes, you could replace the jar of your classic installation. Alternitive, it should be possible to launch eclipse out of eclipse to test your changes.

--Harald

> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Kaestel-Baumgartner Harald
> (DCC/EDF2) <
> Harald.Kaestel-Baumgartner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Message: 1
> > > Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:57:19 -0800
> > > From: Tim Black <timblaktu@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Subject: [cdt-dev] questions about building and modifying
> CDT plugins
> > > To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> > > I did a fresh install of the current release (3.5.2r35) of
> > > the RCP/Plug-in
> > > Developers distribution of Eclipse, and then followed the
> > > instructions at
> > > http://wiki.eclipse.org/Getting_started_with_CDT_development.
> > > I checked out
> > > the listed plugins from HEAD->org.eclipse.cdt->all. Upon
> building all
> > > projects, several build errors and warnings accumulated. Many
> > > of the errors
> > > were "x cannot be resolved to a type" or "import y cannot be
> > > resolved".
> >
> > FYI, how to without CVS access:
> > When I have to patch my own system I plug in CDT in my PDE
> installation and
> > then run import_as->Source_project via the Plug-ins view.
> Then I change the
> > sources of my plug-in, export it as plug-in and finally I
> manually replace
> > the jar in my CDT installation with the patched one.
> >
> > --harald

Back to the top