Re: [cdt-dev] MinGW gdb

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:42:24AM -0500, Doug Schaefer wrote:
> Well, I certainly wasn't making a personal attack on the people working on
> gdb for mingw, nor was I challenging their character. The issues I was
> running into was much more technical than that and involved stack unwinding
> when mixing msvc and gcc built DLLs. Or maybe it was stopping on shared
> library events giving me garbage stacks or stopping at the wrong time. I'm
> not a debugger expert, but It was more complicated than tty's at any
> rate.

Oh, I dunno, TTYs are pretty complicated :-)

It was probably the MSVC/GCC mixing.  In fact, both problems you've
described are the same MSVC/GCC mixing problem.  This is something
I've spent a lot of time looking at recently; unfortunately, it's
a big project to fix.  It's definitely feasible, but it's more than
I can do without an interested customer.

> I'm just not confident that the Windows platform is getting a lot of love
> from the gcc and gdb communities, and if that's the case, I'm OK with that..

It is not the case.  I can't promise that an upgrade will fix all your
bugs magically, but there's at least three GDB developers interested
in the Windows platform right now (it waxes and wanes somewhat).

Cool. I'll give the 7.0.1 mingw binary it a try and report any issues I find.

This is part of a bigger discussion we need to have on how we make use of EDC, if at all. Or is it just a debugger that vendors that have issues with GPL take advantage of. The one glimmer of hope I do have for it is with JNI debugging, so maybe that's where I'll focus there. Opinions welcomed.

Doug.

Back to the top