Re: [cdt-dev] Re: Cross-language navigation (Nicolas Musset)

I think a multi-language framework would be a great idea. Unfortunately, there really isn't a project out there that has multi-language IDE support as it's mandate. The Platform doesn't have a component set up to be that, aside from debug. And it would be a lot of work to get a new component going, something I don't think any of us have the time to take that on. The CDT is natural, at least for the Java interactions. JNI requires a language that can produce C linkage, or you're writing your interface in C. C and C-like languages like this are things the CDT would like to support.

Following up on this proposal,

CDT looks natural for Ada interactions as well, and I guess COBOL and Fortran people feel the same. General multiple-language IDE suport sounds like the kind of project that everybody wants but never gets done. On the other hand, agreeing on a minimal set of language-agnostic interfaces would help a lot. We'd be happy to provide a small set of classes as an initial idea for such an API - but perhaps there are already parts of the CDT code that look like it?

Back to the top