[cdt-dev] Building CDT from source in master zip file: *.properties missing?

I'm trying to build the CDT for debugging purposes, and I started from the
cdt-master-6.0.0-I200905150807.zip, installing all features including the
CDT source SDK itself, and then importing all the cdt plugins "with source"
from the current installation; finally I debug the built set of plugins in
the workbench.  (Based on exchanges here in the past, I suspect this is
unusual, and most people who want to do this kind of thing do cvs
checkouts.)

However, although the plugins seem to build correctly (with the exception of
a couple of missing imports in one of the dsf plugins), they don't work at
all, and this is because (thanks as always to Google) there are no
*.properties files in any of the plugin sources in the .zip file, beyond the
many about.properties, build.properties and plugin.properties files.  This
results in various odd exceptions, starting with an inability to change to
the C/C++ Perspective, which I solved by getting
org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.SettingsModelMessages.properties
from cvs and putting it in the right place, but that just leads to another
similar problem, and there seems to be a systematic problem here.  For the
moment I can fall back to a cvs checkout myself, but is this:

-- user error/misunderstanding,
-- unsupported work flow, or
-- a bug I should file?

There's a very long stack trace associated with this kind of problem, but
the key fact seems to be:

org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.SettingsModelMessages cannot be
cast to ResourceBundle
	at java.util.ResourceBundle$Control.newBundle(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.loadBundle(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.findBundle(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.findBundle(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.findBundle(Unknown Source)
	... 97 more

--it's the cast to ResourceBundle that was the Google trail to the actual
problem.