Re: [cdt-dev]: How does one get the namespace for a C++ declaration in the AST?

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have the following C++ code:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main() {
  string *a = new string("abc");
  a->size();
  a->append("a", 2);
  std::cout << "!!!Hello World!!!" << std::endl; // prints !!!Hello World!!!
  return 0;
}

I have written a libstdc++ hover help plugin which is generated from the actual libstdc++ documentation.

When a user hovers over the "append" method above, I backtrack and find "a".  I use a SharedASTJob to  get the enclosing ASTName via:

ast.getNodeSelector(null).findEnclosingName();

IASTName name =  ast.getNodeSelector(null).findEnclosingName();
IBinding binding = name.resolveBinding();
String[] qualified;
if (binding instanceof ICPPBinding) {
  qualified = ((ICPPBinding) binding).getQualifiedName()
} else {
  qualified = new String[] { binding.getName() };
}

The only thing left is to join the names using "::" as a separator.

I then do a second SharedASTJob to getDeclarationsinAST() for the binding of "a".  This gets me an IASTSimpleDeclaration to which I perform ast.getDeclSpecifier().  This gets me an  IASTNamedTypeSpecifier to which I get the name via getName().

The problem for the above case is that I only get "string".  I need to get: "std::string" or "std::basic_string<char, etc..>" as I have a map of fully-qualified class and typedef names to which I can resolve the online help.  I use a separate SharedASTJob to resolve to the correct append method signature and this is working great.  For example, if the above test is changed to use std::string explicitly, everything works fine.

So how do I resolve the namespace for the declaration of a?  I can send code off-line if further details are needed.

Thanks,

-- Jeff J.

-sergey