Re: [cdt-dev] CDT does not perform will with "large" projects

"Leherbauer, Anton (Toni)" <Anton.Leherbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> First, something I've wished for a long time: CDT should have a way of
>> guiding users to get their indexing working correctly. If the indexer
>> isn't working now, it is not at all obvious what is wrong or how to
>> fix it. A tutorial or step-by-step guide readily accessible from
>> inside CDT would be a great help. When I hear people whine about
>> Visual Studio, it is almost always about IntelliSense not working
>> properly. Not having a working autocompleter kills the entire idea of
>> using CDT.
>>
>> Some of my observations/questions:
>>
>> * The CMake generator did not properly set up the set of include
>>   paths. None of the GCC system include paths were added. After
>>   manually adding them, I had to rebuild the entire index. Just
>>   updating the index did not help.
>
> CMake is not part of CDT. Please get in touch with the CMake maintainer.

Will do. (I actually do know this. I'm not really sure why I reported
this here... :-)

>> * When my CMake-project is open, Eclipse is regularly totally
>>   unresponsive for several seconds up to sometimes several minutes,
>>   with no visible cue as to what it is doing.
>
> In case of unresponsiveness or CPU hogging, please provide a JVM thread
> dump:
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock

Ok, thanks.

>> * Should I just give up on having a single, large, Eclipse/CDT project
>>   with all the files in it? How large projects should CDT be capable
>>   of handling?
>
> This depends on the heap size available to the JVM and the CPU power.
> Note also that CDT 4 is already outdated.

After manually creating individual makefile-projects for the subset of
projects I actually need to work on, I now have a handful CDT projects
with 10-20 source files each, things are running *much* smoother. (I
can even switch on "build automatically", which I find extremely
useful.)

--
/Jesper

Back to the top