Re: [cdt-dev] Patches

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Schorn, Markus
<Markus.Schorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My experience is that submitters of patches are willing to provide
> test-cases, when I ask for it in the bugzilla and give a hint
> on where similar testcases can be found.

I think Elena's comment was half-aimed at me.  It's true, I am happy
to provide unit tests -- I created tests for the Alias issues I
encountered in core.resources, and some additional concurrency tests
for ICDescriptorManager as part of project storage work.

However a new test will only prevent that  issue/regression from
reapparing, it won't validate that I haven't broken any existing
functionality.  There are 3 bugs I've filed with patches for
linked-resource issues with the debugger, as far as I can see there
are no existing debug.core.tests...

It's a chicken and egg problem.  If the code isn't owned by anyone and
there are no existing tests, but there are bugs, is there value in
fixing the bugs?  As Markus said contributors who've made the effor to
file a patch are usually happy to provide a test as well.  They're
generally not so happy to write the entire testsuite.

Cheers,

James