Re: [cdt-dev] adding a new language to the CDT

The concerns of supporting different languages cannot always easily be separated. We live in a world where users freely link together object files compiled from all manner of different languages. A user might have a Fortran program that calls C or C++ code, for instance.

Ideally, tools should be able to handle this scenario. For example, if I do a call hierarchy on a C function that's called from a Fortran function, I would expect to see that Fortran function listed and be able to navigate to it.

Since the CDT already has an infrastructure and implementation for such things as preprocessing, parsing, indexing, and analysis of program constructs, it becomes desirible to try to hook into that, both from the point of view of cross language tools, and from the point of view of reusing existing infrastructure. Why invent another C/C++ wheel when you can use the one that's already there? Granted, this is not always easy, and has its own problems, but it's a place to start.

The aforementioned IMP project people have been working on the idea of generic ASTs where some common concepts like parameterized functions and things like that can be reused across many language. An interesting idea, but I'm not sure how far they've gotten with that or ultimately how successful it will be.

The idea of factoring out common language support APIs and services into a common place is interesting, but I don't think we're at the point where it's realistic to try to attempt that as a "step function", given the level of resources we have. It makes more sense to me to incrementally improve and genericize what we have for now, and someday, when the time comes where we think we have something viable for generic consumption, then we think about refactoring that code into some common package.

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Inactive hide details for "Tom Ball" <tball@xxxxxxxxxx>"Tom Ball" <tball@xxxxxxxxxx>

          "Tom Ball" <tball@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          10/28/2008 01:42 PM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: [cdt-dev] adding a new language to the CDT

Good luck implementing that vision, as it's a potential bog to avoid.
IDEs need to model the languages they support, and the more deeply you
integrate specific language support into the IDE, the more unique your
language model needs to be. Why doesn't CDT use JDT?  It has a lot to
do with how different an accurate Java model is from a good C++ model.
Anyone intrigued by the notion that a common model can be created to
support all languages should review how poorly MOF
(
http://www.omg.org/mof/) is used outside of a few UML tools.  The
tone of this response is a bit vehement because I had the misfortune
to work on a MOF-related project, which eventually had to be put to
sleep in spite of the hard work of many very smart engineers.

It's very likely that CDT has valuable language-independent
technology, but the best approach (IMHO) is to extract that code to a
separate package which can be shared by other languages without mixing
language issues   Eclipse has already started that work with LTK, and
my personal view is that time invested in that and similar efforts
will have a bigger payoff and lower risk of getting stuck, especially
as the number of supported languages increases.

NetBeans recently worked around this by providing a lightweight common
language framework (
http://wiki.netbeans.org/Schliemann), which
language implementors can invest different amounts of effort to get
different levels of integration.  I'm not saying that Eclipse should
do things the NetBeans-way (I want to see my next birthday! :-), but
it demonstrates the case for having a common language integration
framework which languages independently extend, rather than one
language extending another's.

Tom