Re: [cdt-dev] Why is org.eclipse.cdt.internal.errorparsers internal?

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Achim Bursian <abu.aud@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!
Is there any specific reason why package org.eclipse.cdt.internal.errorparsers is internal?

It would be very helpful to use the base class AbstractErrorParser and the ErrorPattern class in other error parsers.
I happen to agree with this opinion. See bug 215492 which unfortunately did not get much traction. I also think that it would be very useful to have some kind of user-configurable generic parser in CDT. We use many tools in our builds emitting various warnings and it would be nice to get errors/warnings/infos in problems view and hightlighted in the code. So far we are stuck to using perl script to reformat to GCC error parser and XLC errorparser likings (where a format is kind of weird but it allows to populate the view with Infos).
I think that this would also help expanding using of CDT as a platform to development in different languages. For example, a while ago I used it to parse PHPUnit output. Worked fine after you invest some time to set it up
Thanks,
Andrew

Why is that discouraged?

Cheers,