Re: [cdt-dev] Re:org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.ScannerConfigurationDiscoveryProfile:allowing inheritance ala superClass

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Schaefer, Doug wrote:
> I've been trying to follow this thread but I do get the gist of it.
> Scanner discovery is a mess and is in need of a total rewrite. I am
> seriously considering this as part of our clean-up work for the build
> system for CDT 5.1. I will definitely look for your input on how to make
> things better and will set up a wiki page to capture everything in the
> next week or two.

i'm approaching this from merely a toolchain/target integrator.  iow,
the guy the MBS extension guide is targeting.  i cant really speak to
any of the backend design pieces as fortunately i havent had to touch
them since my setup (gcc) has already been done.

i think from banging on the MBS/toolchain stuff, key requirements would be:
 - inheritance support (ala superClass and isAbstract)
 - as much as possible in the Extensions (xml) side of things without
needing little java stubs
 - ability to tie the graphical ui extensions easily to the backend extensions
 - try to keep the bits that most often need tweaking from being
nested too deeply
 - a document akin to the MBS extension doc ... dtd's are good for
reference only, not generally useful to integrators
 - no silent errors

some of these things exist today, i'm just trying to highlight the sweet spot

as for the last piece, i'm not entirely sure where things need
improvement (may be a global issue) ... what i do know is that the
toolchain is silent if an id or class is not found or erroneous or
otherwise not usable.  this has led me to spin cycles just comparing
my xml to the working cdt gnu xml to try and figure out where it's
breaking down.  i load up the debug session and when i view the
toolchain page, it's blank.  why ?  no clue.  time to break down
eclipse, try filling in a few more fields with different id values,
and restart and hope it works this time.

i'll be snooping for a while, so feel free to post updates asking for
review and i'll try to keep re-reading things as they get updated :).
-mike

Back to the top