	From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Recoskie
	Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:46 AM
	To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
	Subject: [cdt-dev] Fw: [ptp-dev] Re: Remote Indexing

	Apparently the list software bounced this back to me for "too
many recipients" so I am re-forwarding it just to the lists.

	===========================

	Chris Recoskie
	Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
	IBM Toronto
	http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

	----- Forwarded by Chris Recoskie/Toronto/IBM on 05/16/2008
09:45 AM -----

				Chris Recoskie/Toronto/IBM

				05/16/2008 09:40 AM

cc

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gregory R Watson <grw@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jason
Montojo/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Mike Kucera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Parallel
Tools Platform general developers" <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx, Rob Cecco/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Vivian
Kong/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Babar, Vrushali Shrikant \(Vrushali\) **CTR**"
<vsbabar@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject

RE: [ptp-dev] Re: Remote Indexing
<Notes:///8525716C0063B647/DABA975B9FB113EB852564B5001283EA/CEFD035825B9
C6AE8525744B004AA161>

	"Right" is a very subjective term. No, that's not what we're
doing. That's been discussed to death in the past and I'm not really
interested in opening up that can of worms again.

	We are going with a service oriented approach (although not 100%
the same as what we had proposed before). And this is going into PTP,
not CDT, so it's up to the PTP committers at to whether this is
something they want to support. I'm just cross-posting to CDT because
the question was also asked here and there may be interested parties,
since this leverages CDT.

	===========================

	Chris Recoskie
	Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
	IBM Toronto
	http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

	 "Schaefer, Doug" <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

				"Schaefer, Doug"
<Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
				Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

				05/16/2008 09:33 AM

	Please respond to

"Parallel Tools Platform general developers" <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
<cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

"Babar, Vrushali Shrikant \(Vrushali\) **CTR**" <vsbabar@xxxxxxxxx>,
Gregory R Watson <grw@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Kucera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Rob
Cecco/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Jason Montojo/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Vivian
Kong/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

Subject

RE: [ptp-dev] Re: Remote Indexing

	Given that this work has been vetoed in the past. I hope you're
going in the right direction. The right architecture is to put a service
independent API over the indexer to support external indexes. i.e.,
remote index, not remote content assist/search/static analysis of all
sorts/every potential feature that uses the index in the future/etc. Is
that what you guys are doing?

	Doug.