Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] Re: [cdt-dev] Re: New Debug Model

Hi Adam,
This is very useful information. Could you clarify though, do you write views and UI code that interacts with other vendor's debuggers as well?

Thanks
Pawel

Adam Finucane wrote:
Hello Pawel,

Just letting you known that there are some third party tools that use the CDT debugger APIs, namely us.

We use the existing CDI debugger framework to provide simulators and hardware debuggers for some embedded microprocessors. The simulator is pure Java, the in circuit debugger is a mix of Java and JNI, we don't use GDB.

We have our own low level framework from which we implement specific debuggers for each chip we want to support. We provide the common glue between the CDI interfaces and our own low level interfaces.

We haven't gone into complex breakpoints yet, I can see that this could be a problem if we do try to implement them, but generally speaking we have the interface to be good so far. Some small issues have popped up, basically memory spaces not being supported but I understand that this is being implemented in the next release of CDT, and it wasn't difficult to work around. The other issue that popped up is, because we didn't use GDB, we had to implement our own expression parser. We implemented a bare bones 'expression parser' that simple parses literals, but it would be nice if there was a framework all ready in place and all that would have to be done would be to provide the sizes of types and symbol lookups.

Adam Finucane

HI-TECH Software
E-mail: adam@xxxxxxxxxx Web : www.htsoft.com