RE: [cdt-dev] Managed Make build system and Error Parsers

Leo,
By all means, let's make this part of a toolchain specification. From the short amount of time I spent in the error parser code area, my impression was that the default behaviour of the core is a best-effort attempt to find the error parser from a list of known parsers. That's why the managed build still has its output parsed even though there is no formal UI support.

Basically, under your proposal the manifest would supply zero or more error parsers to that list through the managed build system. We would need to expose this list to the user through the UI, implying a new property page (or a tab on the managed build property page, or some error parser browse button, or...), a preference page, and a new tab on the new project wizard. Compatibility will not be an issue (from what I can see) since the system just adds error parsers. I would think that at some point, there may be a request for some way to override or remove known parsers, but that can be deferred. The default in the absence of any new definitions is to use the default list, only now the user will be able to reorder or remove some if that is what they want.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

"Lott, Jeremiah" <jeremiah.lott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/24/2004 06:03 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev

<cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Managed Make build system and Error Parsers

This looks good to me.  My only question is about backward-compatability.  What will the behavior be for projects that are already created, but don't have an error parser set?  Also what is the behavior for targets in the extension that don't have any error parsers associated with them?

  Jeremiah Lott
  TimeSys Corporation