[cdt-dev] Memory leak?]

--- Begin Message --- I suspect there is a memory leak somewhere in the cdt and was wondering if it has been noticed by anyone.

If Eclipse is used to cvs check out and/or build large C or C++ projects, in addition to consuming as much as 90% of CPU time while building, it also consumes large amounts of memory. While trying to configure Insight, checked out from sources.redhat.com, memory usage went gone up to as much as 193M before crashing on an "Out of Memory" error. These results can be reproduced by checking out gdb, gcc, insight, from sources.redhat.com and configuring then building it.

Here are some more results with the errors obtained:

About halfway through checking out the Mozilla CVS tree from Mozilla.org. the machine greatly slowed down. ps showed java consuming ~80% of the cpu time, and approx 113 Mb memory. Unfortunately before I could get further info, it spammed giving the error:

Unhandled exception caught in event loop.
Reason:
Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError)

and I had to kill it.

I noticed that it was working great checking out all manner of files such as xml, and other sorted stuff, but when it got a cluster of c files, it started to consume a lot of memory.

So I tried to check out all the kernel trees of ELDS. It seemed to have a great problem checking out .c files. It failed a lot quicker this time, and it peaked at java as using 108M and around 80% of the proessor time. Output here at:

Unhandled exception caught in event loop.
Reason:
Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError)

*** Stack trace of contained exception ***
Reason:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Unhandled exception caught in event loop.
Reason:
Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError)

I set it at smaller goal this time, and checked out the X86 kernel code. I notice that huge amounts of memory is consumed very quickly when it encounters .c files. It went from an initial consumption of 63mb to 108mb. It also never seems to relinquish this memory (until you close eclipse).

Have you encountered such heavy memory usage while using Eclipse/CDT?

Regards,

Alifiya