From: Alain Magloire [mailto:alain@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 8:27 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: [cdt-dev] Differences between C and C++ Project?

> From: "Schaefer, Doug" <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "'cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [cdt-dev] Differences between C and C++ Project?
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:26:47 -0400
>
> Hey all,
>

> I was wondering what the differences were between C and C++ projects.
> Certainly there are differences between the C and C++ resources but I am
not
> clear on why we need two types of projects and the conversions between
them,
> especially from a build perspective where make is invoked in either case.

Some component of the CDT may need to be told explicitely the type of
project.  For example, the QNX builder will do some magic to get the
include paths and the libraries right (-lcpp to link with Dinkum C++ Lib,
etc ..).
Another example is the binary parser, we have an ELF parser for binaries
to extract relevant information, if it knows that the project is in fact
a C++ project it can call c++filt to do demangling on the function names.
For C Project
this is unnecessary and probably time consuming.

Something to note is that a C++ project is also/always a C project, we just
add an (eclipse) nature to help third party tools be able to make the
distinction, if required.

<advocacy>
In the normal evolution of a project/work which was started as a simple C
project,
there comes a time there is a need to move to a more powerfull language,
such
as C++.  The conversion wizard between C --> C++ is just an helper wizard to
help user
do the change .i.e evolve.  All it does is add a new nature.
8-)
</advocacy>