Re: [cdt-dev] building CDT

Hi Brian,

As Robert mentioned,  we have recently had to change our build to
accommodate the latest changes in how the Eclipse builds are packaged.
This means that if you want to build the CDT, you will need to move up to a
newer Eclipse build.  Using the latest Integration Builds, our build should
now work.   I just tested it with the 20020520 build and a fresh check-out
of our stuff.  The problem you encountered with DataElementDialog was
infact our problem...We added an api to IActionLoader and didn't provide an
implementation in DataElementDialog.   Fixed now.

I think that your trying to build the CDT with a different Eclipse Build
than we are using internally, sounds like a problem that could happen
frequently.   I see 2 problems:
1.  You have no way to know what Eclipse build we are using internally.
2.  If you want to stay with an older version of Eclipse, you have no way
of checking out the appropriate (older) versions of files that should build
with your Eclipse.

To solve problem 2, I think we should start tagging all the files in our
cvs when we know that the CDT builds with a certain version of Eclipse.  So
you would be able to do checkout of files tagged "M5" or "20020421" to
check out a version of the CDT that matches a certain Eclipse.
To solve problem 1, I think I will create a web page that lists the current
Eclipse build that the CDT is working with as well as the past versions
(tag names) that you can checkout from cvs.

Thoughts?

 Jeff Turnham
 Project Lead - C/C++ Development Tools
 IBM Toronto Lab, D2-328
 (905) 413-4319

                    Robert
                    Weisz/Toronto/I       To:     cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    BM@IBMCA              cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Re: [cdt-dev] building CDT
                    cdt-dev-admin@e
                    clipse.org

                    05/21/2002
                    07:43 AM
                    Please respond
                    to cdt-dev

Brian,

We are in the process of fixing our makefiles to support the new version
support, as
you correctly inferred.  It should work sometime today, in conjunction with
some of the
latest Eclipse nightly or integration builds. We are waiting for the
official Eclipse M6 drop
in order to come up with a stable driver based on it.
If you are just beginning to get familiar with CDT, the best is to pick our
latest stable build, from the
usual eclipse projects downloads area (I hope I got the right shortcut
below):
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/cdt-home/downloads/main.html?cvsroot=Tools_Project

Robert.

                    Brian Moyle

                    <bmoyle@mvista.       To:     cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                    com>                  cc:

                    Sent by:              Subject:     [cdt-dev] building
CDT
                    cdt-dev-admin@e

                    clipse.org

                    05/20/02 08:49

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to cdt-dev

I'm new to the CDT, so if the answer is "then don't do that", please let
me know.

I'm trying to build the CDT from the CVS tree.

After typing "make dev" in the org.eclipse.cdt.dstore.core plugin
directory, I receive the following error message:

   Cannot find jars from org.eclipse.ui_2.0.0
   *** Error: Usage: make ECLIPSE=eclipse_directory targets
   make: *** [generateBuildEnvironment] Error 1

It appears to be related to a change made recently (5/17/02) to add
version support.  Should I perform another step now that that support
has been added?  (e.g., linking directories to alternate names).

I thought I'd try to be fancy and revert back to rev 1.9 and 1.13 of
plugin.xml and GenerateMakefiles.java, respectively.  I then issued
"make clean-dev", "make clean", and tried "make dev" again.

That moved me past the initial error.  It also appears to have compiled
most of the java files (with the only noticable exception being
DataElementDialog.java).  Unfortunately, when I try bringing up Eclipse
with this newly compiled CDT, it quickly seg-faults:

-----
SIGSEGV 11 '(*) segmentation violation' in process 32421
     si_signo [11]: SIGSEGV: (*) segmentation violation
     si_errno [0]: Success
     si_code [1]: SEGV_MAPERR [addr: 0x4D0]

         stackpointer=0xbffc19d8
Writing java dump to javacore32421.1021938315.txt ...  OK
-----

It's very possible I have old libraries, old binaries, or a weird
environment, and since I've never had a working CDT build setup, I'm
hoping somebody else might have more of a clue than I do.

RedHat 7.2 (auto-upgraded from 7.1), using an IBM 1.3.0 SDK.

Any ideas?

Brian