Re: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-debug-dev] enabling CDT to use multiple debuggers

[ choosing a gdb ]

Alain> The problem is that many things will go wrong, for example if
Alain> using MI and trying to launch and older version or launching a
Alain> newer version that the parser can not handle.  We(QNX) have a
Alain> more control environment where we ship part of the product the
Alain> version that can be use with it ... but that is the theory
Alain> ... the practice is less rosie and usually a mess in terms of
Alain> conflicts and things that can go wrong.

I completely agree, it is a mess, largely (imho) because the gdb MI
support is not quite finished.

I suppose it would be possible to have Eclipse check the gdb version
at (gdb) startup and notify the user that it is too old.  (I'm not
sure this is really a worthwhile path to go down...)

Ultimately, since gdb is in a state of flux, it seems to me that a
given Eclipse release will have to be targeted at some set of
"blessed" gdb releases.  For groups like Red Hat and QNX, this can be
the gdb that is shipped alongside Eclipse.  For public Eclipse
releases, perhaps targeting the most recent public gdb release is most
appropriate.

Tom

Back to the top