Re: [cdi-dev] Assumption that WAR can contain SE service files (for CDI extensions) causes TCK failures

The issue you linked is about reading the service file from WAR regardless of whether it is supposed to be a BDA or not.
And this is done by many more existing TCKs which I assume you pass just fine (here is an example https://github.com/jakartaee/cdi-tck/blob/master/impl/src/main/java/org/jboss/cdi/tck/tests/full/extensions/lifecycle/bbd/BeforeBeanDiscoveryTest.java).

However, the three tests you noted here are probably the only tests in TCK that enforce the situation where there is a legitimate extension but the archive itself is not a BDA.
So I'd say the cause for these test failures is elsewhere?

In short, I'm not sure it's defined anywhere that a Servlet container should be able to load SE service files from "WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/services", as the spec only ever talks about jars in WEB-INF/lib.

I am not sure how defined this is but the TCKs have had many tests with this structure for years and all all EE servers seemed to have passed them.

Matej