Re: [cbi-dev] CBI build farm grows by 40%!

>  Jiro

What does this stand for?

Dani

From:        "Mikaël Barbero" <mikael.barbero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Common-build Developers discussion <cbi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        02.04.2019 11:31
Subject:        Re: [cbi-dev] CBI build farm grows by 40%!
Sent by:        cbi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Karsten,

Xtext has been an early adopter for the migration from the "old infra" https://ci.eclipse.org/xtext(the one with Jenkins OSS running on bare metal, with all the "noisy neighbors" issues we know) to the new clustered infra (the one that has been beefed up as Denis explained below). In that sense, you're a special case. However, here is the global status and plan for the new infra. At the end, I will comment on your specific Xtext case ;)

On this new clustered infra, we have two kinds of Jenkins instances running:

- CloudBees Jenkins (CJE) running at https://jenkins.eclipse.org/
- and what we call Jiro (a custom distribution of Jenkins OSS made by the Foundation Team) and tailored for running on this cluster. Those instances also runs at https://ci.eclipse.org/(you can see the instances running with Jiro as they are labeled as "openshift" instead of "hippX").

We're currently migrating all instances from the "old infra" to Jiro. During the migration, projects have 2 instances running: the old one on the old infra and a Jiro instance on the new infra (available from the domain ci-staging.eclipse.org instead of ci.eclipse.orgduring the migration to avoid conflicts with the old instance). Once the migration is done and once the project validated that the Jiro instance is ok, we archive the old instance and make the Jiro one available at ci.eclipse.org.

Note that all new instances (for new or existing projects without a JIPP) have their JIPP created on the new infra (i.e. they are Jiro JIPP).

We also have 49 instances running on the new infra with CloudBees Jenkins (CJE). Those are mostly ee4j projects and a couple of others (incl. Xtext). We don't plan to do a migration of any ee4j project from CJE to Jiro yet. It's not a high priority because they are already running on the new clustered infra. The priority is to free up hippX machines to include them to cluster.

However, we will migrate the CJE early adopters (like Xtext) who have 2 instances running both on the new infra with CJE and on the old infra with Jenkins OSS. Those projects will be migrated to Jiro. We will reach out to you when we'll tackle your project. It will be a no-op for you for anything that currently runs on CJE.

We are currently draining JIPPs on the old infra on a machine by machine basis. This way we can decommission those machines more quickly from the old infra and make them part of the build cluster.

Thanks.

Mikaël Barbero

Team Lead - Release Engineering |Eclipse Foundation
📱 (+33) 642 028 039 | 🐦 @mikbarbero