[cbi-dev] Question about CBI plans

Hello all,

I maintain our own Eclipse build system in Fedora (eclipse-build), which
is in line with Fedora policies.

The CBI looks very interesting, as it could be adopted by Fedora at some
point, at least partially, and remove the duplication of efforts. The
only thing I am really concerned is the lack of official plans about
when CBI would be introduced to Eclipse for good.

I have found so far announcement that it will be done for Juno (except
Eclipse Classic) [1] and the PMC meeting minutes saying that CBI will
not be public until Juno SR 2 [2], thus my question - when the big
switch to CBI should be expected?

The other concern I have is that we are really late in the cycle, and
introducing a completely new build system poses unnecessary risk. Last
time, when such a big change was introduced to Eclipse (P2 in 3.4), it
caused a lot of pain.

I believe personally that CBI should not be introduced for Juno until it
is proven to work well with Kepler, and at least a number of milestones
would have been successfully built and shipped with it.

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cbi-dev/msg00130.html
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/PMC

--
Krzysztof Daniel <kdaniel@xxxxxxxxxx>