[buckminster-dev] Re: Buckminster and Bamboo

Henrik Lindberg wrote:

> Hope you have a moment to answer some questions...
> - Does it work well with Buckminster? Any snags, or opportunities for
> improvement?
> - Is it comparable to Hudson, or is one significantly better than the
> other on something in particular?

To answer both questions at the same time: It works, but there's no tight
integration of Buckminster and Bamboo. Yet.

So while Bamboo is modular and can be extended by custom plug-ins, there are
no Buckminster plug-ins for Bamboo that I am aware of. And I haven't had the
motivation to write one either...

So what I'm doing right now is this:

1) I let Bamboo do a regular check-out and/or update from SVN root. This is
very convenient since Bamboo gets triggered upon each check-in and performs
an incremental update. Which is _very_ fast, of course.

2) The checked-out project contains the source of all bundles and features I
want to build. It also contains a "releng" directory. This is where the
build takes place. Since I didn't want to bother my sysadmin with
Buckminster maintenance, I also ship my own version of Bucky (headless) in
that directory. Suits me fine, so I can stay up-to-date with my latest self-
built Buckmister from SVN trunk ;-)

3) The build itself is just an Ant script. From there I start Buckminster
with a Java-task, based on the macros Thomas posted on the newsgroup a while
back. I pass a Buckmister build script as an argument that contains several
Buckminster commands.

4) I materialize the target platform from our own consolidated mirror site,
very similar to your Galileo Plus site. The platform is materialized into
"releng/target" and will not be deleted after the build. Subsequent
materializations only fetch new versions of the bundles, so after the very
first time, this doesn't cost much time.

5) My RMAP uses "local" resolvers for the source code since Bamboo already
checked out the whole project. Again, this saves time since Buckminster
doesn't have to check out the whole source code again. Of course, the RMAP
also includes SVN resolvers so that I can use the same query and RMAP to
check out the sources from scratch into my own workspace.

6) I am using the not-yet-released JUnit support for Buckminster to perform
unit tests in every build. The results are written to disk as XML and Bamboo
can read and analyze them nicely.

To sum up: It may not be a tight integration, but there are no problems when
using Buckminster with Bamboo. The combination of Ant and Buckminster is
very powerful and provides all the flexibility I need.

I refrain from doing a comparison with Hudson because I have practically no
experience with it. Off the top of my head I'd say Hudson has a more vibrant
community than Bamboo and may lend itself better to extensions and plug-ins.
But there's definitely no reason why Buckminster can't be used with Bamboo.

HTH,
 Achim

> Regards
> - henrik
>
> Achim Demelt wrote:
>> Yep, that would be me ;-)
>>
>> Achim
>>
>> Henrik Lindberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I talked to someone today that potentially wanted to use Bamboo
>>> Continous integration with Buckminster. Are there any Bamboo users on
>>> this newsgroup?
>>> I think I have seen questions here about Bamboo in the past...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> - henrik

Back to the top