[birt-report-engine-dev] Dynamic columns

I need to dynamically set the columns that appear in the report output at runtime. For instance, my report would look something like:

store     expenses   gross sales   profits ...
-----     --------   -----------   ------- ----
StoreA    1,000      12,000        3,000   ...
StoreB    1,100      12,200        3,300   ...
.
.
.

Where the list of stores as well as the columns displayed are unknown prior to runtime (eg, some users will see [profits], others may see [gross payroll], etc... some will see one store, others will see many stores ). I'd prefer to not have to define place-holder columns that I show/hide at runtime.

I tested a recommended solution to this problem using JasperReports combined with Velocity ( see http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0505_olivieri/0505_olivieri.html ). This solution uses Velocity template instructions embedded in the report xml to dynamically modify and grow the report definition based upon runtime parameters. My results using this method have been mixed with respect to functionality, flexibility, and performance.

My plan is to try using Velocity in a similar manner with BIRT.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Back to the top