From: Yair Lenga <yair.lenga@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2/25/23 2:45 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: birt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [birt-dev] Better Graphics

Hi All,

The "original" open-source BIRT tool charting was based on a server-side Java charting tool - that delivered bitmap graphics (PNG, GIF or JPEG) - with fixed resolution. Somewhere around 10 years ago, the commercial package was enhanced with "HTML" graphic - basically SVG output from the same engine - which looked much sharper, generated smaller files, and allowed zooming.

Does anyone have any idea what is involved in adding support for SVG output mode to the current Java charting package? I would like to move back to the open source - but the users hate the bitmap graphics - and creating high resolution charts (e.g., 300dpi or 600dpi) require XXXL files - takes forever to download and render.

Thanks,
Yair

Back to the top