From: Henning von Bargen <H.vonBargen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 1/10/22 2:04 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: For developers on the BIRT project <birt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birt-dev] BIRT POJO runtime?

I wanted to test the BIRT POJO runtime, but failed to do so and others failed at well,
see issues https://github.com/eclipse/birt/issues/781 and https://github.com/eclipse/birt/discussions/738.

Is anyone able to make the POJO runtime work?

And if not, can anyone shed some light on this?

I mean, this always used to work with older BIRT releases.

What I find interesting is this part of the stack trace:

at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.getBundles(InternalPlatform.java:232)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.getBundle(InternalPlatform.java:222)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.getBundle(Platform.java:1442)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.internal.util.BundleVersionUtil.getBundleVersion(BundleVersionUtil.java:33)

The bundle searched for is "org.eclipse.birt.report.engine" BTW - not something exotic.

When I searched for the sources of org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform in the workspace (with (Ctrl-Shift-R), this didn't find anything.
In the mvnrepository, I only find 9 years old releases and I was unable to find the sources at all.[*]

If the POJO runtime is abandoned and no longer supported, this should be documented along with possible alternatives.

[*] I finally found https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.runtime.git at least.

Henning