[babel-dev] Time to move to Git

Kit,

Now that you've got the Juno language packs out the door (thank you) I think now is a great time to move the Babel source repo to Git, since the Eclipse Foundation is disabling CVS in December.

We have some basic Git information here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git

And the migration guide is here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git/Migrating_to_Git

In short, all we need to do is install EGit for Git integration in Eclipse. Conceptually, with Git, each local workstation has a complete copy (clone) of a Git repo. You commit changes into your local repository, then push an entire changeset to git.eclipse.org. In other words, a commit is no longer a remote operation.

I was thinking of creating 2 repos for babel:

org.eclipse.babel.server.git --> our PHP server code
org.eclipse.babel.plugins.git --> the RBE and other plugins

I can perform a sandbox migration in a set of test repos, then we can work out the workflow in the sandbox. Once we're comfortable, I can then start over, re-import into the real repos and make our CVS repo read-only.

FWIW, we will have to install Git on the Babel server and tweak our release process.

Does this plan seem reasonable?

Denis

Back to the top