[babel-dev] Babel RC2 build test results

I borrowed a team of 3 people to test the Babel RC2 language pack update site. We performed some basic smoke test of the language packs by downloading the language packs from the Babel update site into Galileo JEE Package (eclipse-jee-galileo-RC4-win32.zip). We then inspected all menu items and dialogs, and performed a few simple functions.

We performed the test on 3 different platforms (Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1) in the top 7 most complete languages (Simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, and Spanish), which are 88%+ completed.

All translated strings are displayed properly on screen with no corrupted characters. Of course, there are occasion English strings inter-mixed with translated strings. They are expected because not all languages for all projects are 100% complete.

We did not find any problems with the Babel RC2 language pack update site. However, we may have found one little problem with the p2 update manager. I'm trying to simplify the scenario and report that to p2.

We will continue to test the next integration build next week in other languages and by unzipping the language packs instead of using the update site.

In general, I think the Babel language packs are working as designed.

Regards,
Kit Lo
IBM Eclipse SDK Globalization Technical Lead
Eclipse Babel Project Co-lead

Back to the top